Monday, March 24, 2008

Thing 2

I looked at the date of the last post and was surprised it has been so long since I have worked on 23 Things on a stick. It has been a very busy couple months at work. I will try the advice of the video on Library 2.0 with just 15 minutes each day, but the problem is there are so many things I should spend 15 or more minutes on each day.

I am excited about working on 23 Things on a stick despite the delay in time between working on the next items. It will be interesting to see how some of the technologies can be used for the library.

After looking at the articles on Library 2.o, one of the items that really was an interest to me was the section on the collection. With digital information and a limited budget, it would be good to concentrate the book collection on subjects that are frequently requested.

I worked at a public library back in the early '80's and I cataloged phonograph records, now I am telling teachers how to download e-books and digital recorded books. I checked out books by cards, now I do everything by computers. Libraries change with everything else when it comes to technology. Librarians have even more to do, learning the new technologies and helping patrons find the information they need.

It can be a very exciting time. Personally, I find the new technologies very helpful. I share information with family on a personal website. My daughter had her wedding pictures on her and husband's website to share with family and friends. Hobbies become easier with the access to the Internet. Email and cell phones have become part of one's daily life. Even my 80 something mother has her email that she checks each day. Technology is certainly not just for the young, but for all ages.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I liked your observation that technology is for all ages. We have to take into account all the various uses to appeal to all ages as well in our library...that's what the 23 things will help us do, I hope. I liked your succinct description of how things have changed in libraries and yet our mission is the same, to help patrons find what they need.